Please select your home edition
Edition
Maritimo 2023 M600 LEADERBOARD

2024 Flotilla to Alaska - Days 15, 16, and 17 - Staying in Prince Rupert instead of crossing Dixon

by Laura Domela 28 May 16:08 PDT
2024 Flotilla to Alaska © Laura Domela

Well, we made the call early Saturday morning to stay in Prince Rupert instead of crossing Dixon. Conditions weren't bad, but the threat of the weather coming in later that afternoon sounded like it could make for a not-so-great experience. The Dixon Entrance East forecast was seas 2 meters becoming 1-2 meters. SE wind 5-15 but increasing SE 15-20 near noon, then SE 25 early evening. Maybe okay with the wind, and maybe if 1 meter, it would be fine.

But the NOAA forecast for Clarence Strait (when we enter AK, we're in Clarence Strait, south end) was NW wind 10 kt becoming S in the morning, then becoming SE 25 kt in the afternoon. Seas building to 5 ft. Rain. Hmmm.

Green Island lighthouse was reporting 2ft chop, and Grey Island also wasn't bad (W 11kts) but also, it's been building since 1am. And on Sunday and Monday, conditions looked even worse more to the north, so we could end up stuck in Foggy Bay for a day or two... really tough call, but we opted to stay in Prince Rupert for a few days. More expensive for moorage than an anchorage, but lots to do...restaurants, shops, museums, etc.

Continue reading the full article here...

Related Articles

2024 Flotilla to Alaska - Day 37
Funter Bay to Taku Harbor We left Funter Bay early this morning...6:30am. The chop making its way into the bay woke us up and we figured as long as we were up we might as well be out there. Posted on 17 Jun
2024 Flotilla to Alaska - Day 36
Pavlof Harbor to Funter Bay Another day that starts with sun…we'll happily take it! Looking north up Lynn Canal, just outside the entrance to Funter Bay: As we passed the entrance to Funter Bay, near Station Island, we spotted a couple humpbacks right inside the bay. Posted on 16 Jun
2024 Flotilla to Alaska Day 35
Appleton Cove to Pavlof Harbor Today was a good day for wildlife! As we rounded the tip of Chichagof Island at Morris Reef, there were a couple of humpbacks hanging out near the point. Posted on 15 Jun
2024 Flotilla to Alaska Day 34
Sitka to Appleton Cove Another morning waking up to bright sun! We departed Sitka with with blue skies, flat water, and a nice view of Mt. Edgecumbe. Posted on 14 Jun
2024 Flotilla to Alaska - Days 32-33: Sitka
We're all provisioned up and ready to head out in the morning again We're all provisioned up and ready to head out in the morning again. Everyone has been making the most of their time in Sitka — exploring town, walking the totem trails, eating food cooked by others, going to museums Posted on 13 Jun
2024 Flotilla to Alaska Day 31
Baby Bear Bay to Sitka We departed Baby Bear Bay the same way we entered... carefully, and without hitting any of the many rocks that poke out into the entrance. We arrived at Sergius Narrows a bit early and had a 3kt current helping us along... no drama at all. Posted on 11 Jun
2024 Flotilla to Alaska Day 30
Takatz Bay to Baby Bear Bay Chatham Strait this morning was a little rolly but not bad at all — some swells from the south opposing a little current from the north caused a bit of surfing, but it was gentle and manageable. Posted on 10 Jun
2024 Flotilla to Alaska Day 29
Warm Springs Bay to Takatz Bay We left Warm Springs Bay this morning around 8am...partially sunny (mostly cloudy) but not raining. We'll take it! An easy 9nm cruise up to Takatz Bay, another favorite stop. Posted on 9 Jun
2024 Flotilla to Alaska Day 28
Red Bluff Bay to Warm Springs Bay Suuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnn!!!!!! What a gorgeous location to wake up to, and as a bonus, the skies are clearing and the sun is shining. First thing this morning (before coffee, even!) Posted on 8 Jun
2024 Flotilla to Alaska Day 27
Pybus Bay to Red Bluff Bay Departing Cannery Cove and Pybus Bay we weren't sure what conditions we'd see out in Frederick Sound...likely some wind waves on the beam, but more importantly, how long would it take for the sporty conditions in Southern Chatham Strait Posted on 7 Jun
Maritimo 2023 S-Series FOOTER